Thursday, November 27, 2008

TWD: Baking, Baking & Baking

So I held out on making Tuesdays With Dorie this week until closer to the big day. A bunch my friends in our squadron are getting together this holiday, and having a big potluck of Thanksgiving feasting!

This week's recipe was chosen by
Vibi of La Casserole Carree.

Thanksgiving Twofer Pie
It's a cross between Pumpkin and Pecan Pie

I remember growing up how much my dad LOVED pecan pie. I just couldn't stand it! I thought it was too rich and just.... bluck! But now, I think I've kind of grown to like it. It's definitely not my favorite, but I'll eat it.

My 4 year old, as you know by now, loves to help me in the kitchen, so he was very excited to help me make some pies. I don't do pies much, so this was his first experience with that!

He was quite an expert at designing the crust edge! Not even letting me help him!

I partially cooked the crust, but didn't get the crust completely covered with the foil. The edges got a bit browner than I wanted.

It was fun to pour all the different layers in the pie. I was worried it all wouldn't fit! But it did!


And here is the final product! I snuck a little sliver to try it out! I am thinking I'll need a bigger slice this afternoon after the big Thanksgiving feast to decide it I really like it...however, I could taste the pecan pie part instantly, and then right at the end, you get that burst of pumpkin flavor! Both I love very much!
Notice my crust edges are pretty much burnt! Argh!

I decided that just in case this pie wasn't a big hit, I'd bring back up...
Besides, what is Thanksgiving without Pumpkin Pie?

The spouses are also baking/cooking some food for the single marines living in the barracks, so I baked up some cookies from some dough I had leftover from yesterday. I pulled out some cupcakes from the freezer and frosted those up, and then made little mini pumpkin pies from the extra pumpkin pie filling and pie crust.
I have two pans full of the goodies my husband will deliver this morning. I hope they enjoy them!

As I'm posting this, I'm waiting for my potato rolls to rise so I can start baking those up! These always go fast, and I am wishing I would have made a double batch... oh well, hopefully 4+ dozen will be enough!!!

Then, I think I'm going to make up some mashed potatoes to take along as well. Then, I'm done. Then the rest of the morning I'll just be running around getting things loaded up, kids bathed and ready, and oh yes, try to get myself made up too, if I have time! Oh, a mother's work is never done!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

5 comments:

vibi said...

Thank you very much Kimberly, for participating with me this week!
Hummm... not too hard to make beautiful and tasty pies, when you have such gret help in the kitchen!!! It came out fabulous!

LOL Now, I had my name bumped and bruised many times before, but it is the fist time I see it sounding like the goof box! LOL

A very happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

~Kimberly said...

Ay! sorry for botching your name! I was rushing through the post trying to get it done, and I don't know what I was thinking..fixed now! Happy Thanksgiving!

Engineer Baker said...

Thanksgiving isn't Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie, but I'm glad this twofer was tasty too. Looks good.

Kimberly Johnson said...

Both of your pies look excellent! Great job on the twofer!

Ladners'Latest said...

Anyone who didn't get to taste Kim's pumpkin pecan pie totally missed out! It was scrumptious!