Thursday, November 6, 2008

Pumpkin Pancakes


The kids and I made pumpkin pancakes the other night. Man were they good! I have seen several blogs lately that have made these and saved one of the recipes to try it out.

My two older kids (ages 10 & 4) fought over who got to stir, dump, pour, and mix, but in the end, both were very happy to be able to eat pancakes for supper, along with a dollop of whip cream! What a treat!

I had to hide these last 2 pancakes for myself. I have never seen my son eat so much! (Letting him glop on his own whip cream may have had a little to do with that!)
Pumpkin Pancakes

Serves 2-3

1 cup (5 ounces) flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon allspice
¼ nutmeg
1 egg
2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
½ cup pumpkin
1 cup buttermilk
vegetable oil for the pan

1. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the egg until thoroughly combined, then add the butter, pumpkin, and buttermilk. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk gently until batter is mostly mixed but still contains small lumps. Let batter rest while pan heats, at least 5 minutes.

2. Heat non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add a few drops of oil and spread it over the bottom of the pan. Using a ¼ cup measure, pour pancake batter onto hot griddle. When pancake is golden brown, flip to cook other side. Keep warm in oven heated to 275 degrees.

2 comments:

Ladners'Latest said...

YUM-O! I'm going to have to try these. If they're anything like sweet potato pancakes, I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

We LOVE pumpkin pancakes and do them often. YUM! Yours are beautiful and I love the plate!