Saturday, April 19, 2008

Gluten Free Banana Nut Muffins

I attempted another gluten free recipe today. I figured that since I had accomplished a cookie recipe, I should try something different. So...I went for muffins. I got this recipe off a blog on here. I really need to start giving credit here but when i look for recipes online, I usually copy and paste them onto a Word document for later reference, and I don't always remember where they came from!

I digress...

So I am very happy with this recipe, although, I was not able to find all the different types of flour it called for, and so I just substituted gluten free all purpose flour for whatever I didn't have.

GLUTEN FREE BANANA NUT MUFFINS

3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
1/3 cup melted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 Tbsp espresso or strong coffee (optional)
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
3/4 tsp. xanthan gum
1 cup chopped walnuts (toasted or raw)
No need for a mixer with this recipe.

1 Preheat the oven to 350°F. With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl.
2 Mix in the sugar, egg, espresso and vanilla.
3 Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in.
4 Add the flour, mix until it is just incorporated. Fold in the chopped walnuts.

5 Pour mixture into a prepared muffin tin. Bake for 20-22 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin. If it comes out clean, it's done. Cool on a rack!

No comments: