Sunday, April 6, 2008

Cupcakes Everywhere!!!

Today was a fun baking day! My daughter and I were in the kitchen all afternoon, fighting over the oven time! She picked out a cookie recipe to try on her own, and I pulled out a stack of cupcake recipes I've been wanting to try....and, since I was able to make a run to the commissary this afternoon, I finally had all the ingredients to make them!

I started with CHOCOLATE CHERRY DR. PEPPER cupcakes. I got them off a discussion forum. And, since my husband LOVES Dr. Pepper, I thought I'd give them a try. (Even though he won't be home for a few more weeks!)

CHOCOLATE CHERRY DR. PEPPER CUPCAKES
I even made little minis! Aren't they cute!? My daughter put on the little maraschino cherries for me! Oh, and my son put one on as well! My big helpers! These were really yummy! My favorite part was the meringue-like icing and the cherry on top!
Here is the recipe:

2 ¼ cups of Dr. Pepper
2 cups of sugar
2 ½ cups of cake flour
2 eggs
4 ounces of unsweetened chocolate
½ cup of maraschino cherry syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup of unsalted butter (2 sticks)
pinch of salt
1 ½ teaspoons of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoons of vanilla
¼ cup sour cream
Preheat oven to 325ยบ. In a medium size sauce pan bring Dr. Pepper & cherry syrup to a boil. Place chocolate and butter into a bowl and pour hot Dr. Pepper over, cover and let sit for 10 minutes. Whisk mixture till smooth. Stir in sugar, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla, and sour cream. Add flour in 2 parts alternating with the eggs and whisk till smooth. The mixture will be runny… but tasty. Fill cupcakes cups and bake approximately 15-20 minutes or until skewer comes out clean
7 Minute Cherry Frosting:
4 egg whites
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
2/3 cup of maraschino cherry syrup (you may need more)
2lbs confectioners sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
Throw everything into a Pyrex bowl ….. except don’t use all of the cherry syrup here. Start with ½ and beat with a hand held electric mixer for 1 minute . Place bowl over a pot of boiling water (be sure not to let the water touch the bowl… just the steam) and beat on high for 7 minutes adding more cherry syrup as needed to obtain desired consistency. Be sure as you are beating that you are also scraping down the sides of the bowl. DO NOT let the mixture set over the bowl as your frosting will soon turn into a large meringue cookie. See this couldn’t be easier! Oh yeah, don’t forget to top your cupcakes with a cherry!
**I halfed the recipe and it made 12 regular cupcakes & 24 minis!
I also frosted up a leftover KING SIZE Cupcake to resemble an ice cream cone...
Oh but that's not all, oh no, that's not all....

I continued on with my cupcake madness and tried out Billy's Chocolate Cupcakes that I saw on a blog around here somewhere....
These were pretty good. REALLY chocolate-y!
I still want to try out BillyReece's Vanilla Vanilla Cupcakes, but not sure if I'll make it to those yet tonight, or if they'll have to wait until another day...

But I'll have to say I think today was a pretty successful baking day...I think I'll be popping in at some friends houses tomorrow to get rid of them all now.....otherwise my baby fat won't be coming off as quickly as I'd like!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We would like to feature your dr. pepper cupcakes on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

You can view our blog here:
blog.keyingredient.com/